Are you interested in learning how to coon hunt? If so, you are in the right place!
Coon hunting is a fast paced sport. The bond you develop with your coonhound is invaluable and coon hunting can even put some spare cash in your pocket. Actually, if you and your dog do well competing in coon hunts has the potential to put a lot of extra cash in your pocket!
As enjoyable as coon hunting can be you will also face a few challenges.
- Finding the right coonhound.
- Finding the right location with the right hunting conditions.
- Training your dog.
Lets start off with a few of the very basics to get you started with how to coon hunt.
- Learn your state’s regulations. Different states have different rules and regulations. Find out when coon hunting season takes place in your state and if there is a limit to the number of raccoons you can kill.
- Get the right dog for the job. It is very important that you choose the right breed for your needs. Coonhounds are very specific and have unique features.
- Dog training is the hardest part. Be involved in the training. You can get an older and more experienced coonhound to help out. Go hunting with the two dogs and let the newer one learn.
- Find the best location for hunting. It’s important to know the area your are in. You will also want to purchase a GPS collar for your dog, this way when the dog takes off you can track her down.
- Be well equipped when you go hunting. Carry all the necessary equipment. This may include GPS collars, lights, a gun, shock collar (if you are training the dog) and appropriate clothing.
Before you go out on your own it’s a wise idea to go on a few hunts with a more experienced hunter. Most of the skill on coon hunting is learned through trial and error. Make sure you are able to keep up with your dog and know where he is at all times. When he trees a raccoon he will alert you and you can then make the appropriate action.
Practice makes perfect. Happy Hunting!
Photo Credit Poulsen Photo